Saturday, August 10, 2013

Dessert Series: Nomama


After finding myself in Quezon City for the lechon degustation, compliments of Diplahan Lechon, I was in search of a good dessert place - I didn't drive all the way here for cake at the nearest Starbucks. As luck would have it, I was surrounded by the best food bloggers around, so when I asked I got a ton of recommendations.

I went with Eugene's recommendation, and off we went to check out Nomama. Popularly known for its ramen dishes, I was promised that they also made a pretty mean Flourless Chocolate Cake with Miso Salted Caramel, so we trooped on over to give it a go.


I had been hearing some great things about Nomama, and had been wanting to check their dishes out for a while now, but after all that lechon I was stuffed and only had enough room left for dessert. And because we were all so "full", we ordered everything on their dessert menu!


I was drawn to Nomama's Kit Kat Bar (P175) - a homemade peanut butter and chocolate bar with a raspberry coulis. I liked the milk chocolate with the ground up nuts and what I think are rice crispies to give the dessert a bit of a crunch.


I was happy to see that Nomama also served my favorite da.u.de teas, and got myself a pot of Pistacia (P180), which is a white tea with strawberry, safflower, and calendula. I only wish their cups were bigger.


Jericho ordered the Apple Gyoza with Condiments (P275). The dessert gyoza was stuffed with apples and rum raisins, fried until crisp and served with miso salted caramel and a yogurt foam. I liked the whole ceremony of dipping the gyoza into the miso caramel and then the yogurt foam before taking a bite - there's just something very meditative about the whole dessert dance.


My friend and I really wanted to try the Flourless Chocolate Cake with Miso Salted Caramel (P175), but they ran out, so while I went for the Kit Kat Bar, he settled for the Dessert of Day, which happened to be a Miso Salted Caramel Ice Cream (P175). It looked really appealing on the dessert dish, but after tasting it, I felt let down as the miso didn't really come through, just the salt and caramel.



When mucking around Quezon City, enjoy lunch or dinner at Nomama and stay for dessert and tea! I really want to comes back to try their actual dishes - I saw an Ahi tuna salad thatsounded amazeballs - and hopefully the next time I'm here they have that Flourless Chocolate Cake on hand.


Just mucking around Manila,


www.muckingaroundmanila.com
Follow @_muckingaround on Twitter and Instagram.
Like the Mucking Around Manila fan page.

Images taken by Jericho San Miguel of The Pixel Project Manila


Nomama
+63 2 921 4913; +63 916 550 4373
G/F FSS Bldg 2,
Scout Tuason cor Scout Castor Sts, Quezon City
Open Daily: 11:30am - 2pm; 6pm - 10pm