Thursday, April 12, 2012

12 Things




The only magazine I've ever really collected is the now defunct Marie Claire Philippines. I loved how Marie Claire was filled with intelligent content, stories about women empowerment, interesting travel pieces (the article on Palau was my favorite) and their "What's In Your Bag?" section where celebrities and power women gave us a sneak peak into the contents of their totes and handbags, as well as sneak in some of their own products in the process. My favorite was Charina Sarte's beach bag.

I love the thought of sharing personal must-haves and what people always bring around with them. You get a better idea of their personalities, their likes and dislikes, and who they aspire to become.

Here's mine!

1. Fedora. I love fedoras! They're a great accessory - laid-back, but totally pimpin'! The trick is finding the right kind of fedora for my unusually round head.

2. Ray-Ban Aviators. Ray-bans are my default, go-to pair of sunnies. I like the wayfarers and the occasional oversized sunglasses, but other than that, Ray-Bans are what I invest in. I'm really digging the gold frame with the green lens Aviator Large Metal.

3. Nikon 1. Isn't this camera puuurdy? My camera phone has been doing a pretty ok job of taking pictures, but I think it's time to step it up and invest in an actual camera. The Nikon 1 J1 model is pretty sweet! What I really like about this white beauty is the retro look, the interchangeable lens, and because you can never go wrong with a Nikon. Ok, I'm ready for my macro!

4. Stabilo Pens. I'm predominantly right-brained, so when I write down notes with colored pens I have a higher chance of reading what I scribble, and with a 0.4 fine tip, you don't have to worry about the colors seeping right through the page. I love the Stabilo brand since I've been using them for the longest time, and they don't dry out easily.

5. Moleskine Notebook. Call me old fashioned, but I always have a notebook in my bag to jot down whatever comes to mind - marketing ideas, article ideas, snippets from magazines that I find interesting. I also have a Moleskine Travel Journal with snapshots and other pictures of my trips. Writing is way more therapeutic than typing things down, in my opinion.

6. A Good Book. I'm currently reading The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. Recommended by my uncle, I find it nicely complements my life workbook, A Course In Miracles.

7. iPhone 4. This, like my laptop, has become a detachable appendage. It houses my contacts, e-mails, messages, appointments, as well as my score for Temple Run. That, and I like my gadgets white (I'm still crossing my fingers for a re-release of the MacBook).

8. Chunky Wooden Bangles. These are the easiest accessories to pair with cocktail rings and big, hooped earrings. Great for the beach, strolling around a park, sipping a cappuccino at a coffee shop, or a night out with the girls!

9. Flowy Boho Skirt. I don't own a pair of jeans. Seriously. But I make up for it with a growing collection of flowy boho skirts and maxi dresses! It not only makes you look and feel like you're on a tropical island (technically I am), but it just puts you in the best mood! Do the casual thing and pair it with flip flops, or dress it up with knee-high boots.

10. Tanning Solution. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I'd only turn lobster red whenever I'd try and work on a tan, until I discovered these awesome products. Maui Babe Browning Lotion is great for when I'm at the beach and the follow up with L'Oreal Sublime Self-Tanner to stay sun-kissed when I'm stuck in the city. Easy peasy.

11. Stripped Down Beauty Loot. Keeping everything neutral and natural, I like my Revlon Custom Creation Foundation in Medium, Revlon Custom Color Eyeshadow in Naturally Glamorous, Laura Mercier's Bronzing Pressed Powder in Golden Bronze, and C.O. Bigelow's Mentha Ultra Lip Shine No. 1122 and Mentha Lip Tint No. 1644. Since my face is the first part of my body to lighten after laying out, I back up my tan with St. Tropez's Self Tan Bronzing Mousse from time to time.

12. Cupcakes. Because of my almost weekly supply of cupcakes, courtesy of Justice for Desserts, I'm now hooked! I have a slight preference towards her red velvet cupcakes, but Justice makes pretty mean carrot cupcakes as well. Oh, and don't forget to try her really yummy banana cupcakes, too!